Analysis & Services
LMPE is equipped with its own internal Analysis Laboratory located in a modern and well-equipped building, designed to meet the needs of different scientific fields. It has a variety of spaces dedicated to specific purposes for chemical, biological, and physical investigations.
We offer a wide range of characterization services for polymeric materials and plastics products, including thermal analysis, spectroscopy, microscopy, mechanical and chemical testing, and many more. These services allow us to characterize the physical, chemical, and mechanical properties of polymers, as well as identify any defects, non-conformities, or deviations from desired specifications.
Accurate and in-depth analysis of polymer materials is crucial to determining their properties, controlling their quality and performance, developing new materials, and ensuring that they are suitable for specific applications.
The key benefits of analytics can be traced back to:
- Optimization of polymeric materials, contributing to technological progress in many industries
- Maximum precision and reliable results.
- Decision support to improve product quality.
- Product comparison and verification of suitability to customer requirements.
- Save time and avoid additional costs associated with quality problems or defects.
- Support in research and development of new materials or formulations.
- Adaptability to specific customer requirements (industrial, regulatory, etc.).
Our laboratory offers a high experience and expertise of professionals in the field of polymer materials.
Here are some analyses that we can make available to the customer.
- Thermal and calorimetric analysis:
- TGA (Thermogravimetric Analysis)
- DSC (Differential scanning calorimetry)
- Physical and mechanical characterization:
- Traction (film, “dog bones”, o’ring)
- Liquid compressibility
- Chemical and compositional analysis of polymeric materials and deformulation of materials:
- Density of solids and liquids
- Solvent extraction
- Comparative spectroscopic tests
- Workability of materials
- MFI (Melt Flow Index – a parameter related to the viscosity of the material)
- Mixing test
- Extrusion test (co-rotating bi-screw, blow film, casting)
- Spectroscopic Analysis:
- UV-Vis (Visible and UV spectroscopy)
- FT-IR (Infrared spectroscopy)
- XRD (X-ray diffraction)
- Analysis of Nanoparticles:
- DLS (Dynamic light diffusion)
- Microscopy and Imaging by Optical Analysis:
- Light microscope
- SEM EDX (Scanning electron microscopy)
- Analysis of stability and degradability:
- UV Veterometer (photo-degradation, evaporation/condensation, spray)
- Ageing by natural exposure
- Carbon index evaluation and oxygen consumption during aging.
- Biodegradation and compostability analysis:
- Dynamic and static respirometer (Biodegradation in compost, soil, fresh water and seawater)
- Ecotoxicity tests (conducted on plants)
- Disintegration with pilot plant
Production of microcapsules by Spray Dry technique
Material development and formulation
Our laboratories are equipped for the realization in small scale (up to 10kg) of prototypes of materials that can be obtained as:
- solid-solid, solid-liquid, liquid-liquid mixtures
- polymer films
- 3D artifacts
The same technologies can also be used to obtain a sample that is most suitable for being subjected to the analytical techniques at our disposal.
- Brabender mixer
- Haake mixer
- Extrusion Bivite co-rotating
- Bubble extrusion
- 3D Printing